Instagram

BEAUTY MAKEUP

Life-Changing Makeup Tips for Every Step of your Routine

May 2, 2018
4 picture collage of the same blonde haired girl wearing dark pink lipstick, holding makeup brushes, and making faces

Throughout my years in makeup school, as a makeup artist, and just as a makeup lover in general, I have become privy to quite a few tips and tricks for getting glam. Some of these tricks I learned in school, some I figured out on my own through trial and error, and some were shared by fellow artists. Today I wanted to share with you some of my all time favourite tips. I have chosen what I think is one of the BEST makeup tips for each step of your routine. These will be life changing if you aren’t doing them. They will save you time and frustration so you have more patience to deal with the fact that your toddler has been having a 45 minute tantrum because his cracker broke in half.

The tips.

Primer – Use an eye shadow primer all around your eye area, instead of your regular face primer. It will help prevent foundation and powders from settling into fine lines and creases around the eyes. Helping your skin look younger and smoother!

Foundation – To make sure your foundation is blended flawlessly, after you’ve applied it, press it into your skin with a damp sponge. Don’t swipe!

Concealer – Don’t use your under eye concealer to try and hide blemishes on your face. Most under eye concealers have light-reflecting properties to brighten up the under eye area. These light-reflecting properties will also brighten and highlight bumps on your face, drawing attention to them, rather then concealing them!

Powder – If you set your foundation with a pressed or loose powder, make sure you brush in on in a downward motion. This will brush all the little hairs on your face down so they will lay flat, giving your skin a smoother appearance.

Eye shadow – Use a primer! It will help prevent your lids from becoming oily, and your shadow from fading, smearing, or creasing throughout the day. You can read all about eye shadow primers, and why they are so amazing HERE!.

Eyeliner – Apply a white, or nude coloured pencil along your bottom waterline. It will make the eyes pop, and appear larger! If you are going for a smokier effect you can always apply your darker colour under the lash line!

Contour – Blend, blend, and blend some more! Use one brush to apply your contour, and separate brush for blending. Make sure you wipe your blending brush off after every use, and wash it weekly. Otherwise the brush will get a build up a product and rather then blending it out, you will just be smearing it around… or applying more!

Highlight – Highlighters are NOT a one size fits all product! Make sure your highlighting product has the right undertones for your skin. Warm/cool/neutral. It will give you a natural dewy look.

Blush – Don’t smile when you apply your blush! Chances are your mother told you to, but don’t. When you smile it changes the positions of the muscles in your face, so when you go back to a relaxed face, your blush placement will be off. If you are having trouble finding your cheekbones, gently suck in and make a fish face, see where the prominent boney area is, then relax and apply.

Mascara – The dreaded mascara dots!! They usually show up because you apply your mascara to your top lashes, then look up to apply it to your bottom lashes before it has dried. Avoid them by applying your mascara to your bottom lashes first!

Eyebrows – When filling your brows, start just slightly in from the start of your eyebrow, this will leave a nice natural shape at the front. Feather your brush, or pencil to create wispy a wispy hair like effect, rather then a drawn on look. Finally start at the top of your brow and make your way down, this will help to lift the brow!

Lips– Always fill in your whole lip with a lip liner, whether you are glossing or using a lipstick. It will keep the colour of your final product more consistent (rather then wearing off quicker towards the center) and help it to last longer!

Setting – If you are using a setting spray, (which I recommend because who has time for touchups) rather then spraying it directly on your face, spray it onto a big fluffy brush and then press it over your makeup to make your skin look more natural.

I hope these help you out, I know that there are a ton of tips circulating around the internet, so I hope some of these were new to you and you learned something! Which tip do you think you will try first?!

PS. This month I am giving away a $75.00 E-giftcard to Sephora! Click HERE to enter! [CONTEST CLOSED]

Amber Myers
    May 2, 2018 at 1:27 pm

I know hardly anything about make up, so this is helpful. I might try to wear it now and again to surprise my husband.

Ally
    May 2, 2018 at 1:29 pm

I recently started using primer and a highlighter. I may not be overly makeup savy yet, but I have noticed some real differences in my appearance since I started using them!

cortneyhare
      May 3, 2018 at 9:49 am

It’s amazing how less really is more though isnt it?!

Joan Cajic
    May 2, 2018 at 3:09 pm

I need to try wearing makeup for a week straight. the most I did was three days hopefully this year I step up.

Jessica Taylor
    May 2, 2018 at 3:13 pm

I just recently started using a primer on my eyes and seriously GAME CHANGER! My eyeshadow never looked better!

cortneyhare
      May 3, 2018 at 9:49 am

i know right?!

Ann Snook-Moreau
    May 2, 2018 at 3:27 pm

I love your lip liner tip! I feel like that would make your lip color last longer through eating as well.

cortneyhare
      May 3, 2018 at 9:50 am

it really does! some lip liners can make your lips feel drier though, so if you have this issue just put a thin layer of a lip balm on before you apply!

emliy
    May 2, 2018 at 5:01 pm

I am not great at makeup at all so all of these tips were super helpful!! Thank you!!

Patty Leemhuis
    May 2, 2018 at 11:42 pm

Thanks for this! Any suggestions about a good waterproof mascara? I have tried 10 different brands and nothing is waterproof in salt water!!

cortneyhare
      May 3, 2018 at 9:53 am

what are you wearing waterproof mascara for?! I only recommend it on occasion because it doesn’t remove easily and you can end up tugging to much on the lash causing hair loss, friction on the skin leading to fine lines. Also if you don’t get it ALL off, it grows bacteria and makes your lashes stiff which can scratch your corneas! If you have a job that requires you to be in water lot, then I would recommend looking into lash tinting instead!

Tina Hogan Grant
    May 3, 2018 at 12:16 am

I wear very little makeup. I’m in and out of the bathroom in 5 minds LOL. Great tips for those that want to know more.

Cristina Coroiu
    May 3, 2018 at 2:46 am

Great tips. I’m not good at makeup. I wish I knew how to apply it and look good on me. I have to try those tips.

Andrea
    May 3, 2018 at 9:13 am

i love all of this your look is great, i don’t do a lot when it comes to makeup i am very minimal but have tons of appreciation for people who wear makeup and how talented they are.

Essi
    May 3, 2018 at 8:37 pm

I’m still learning how to do my makeup. This post was very informational

CJ
    May 3, 2018 at 9:04 pm

Wow, thats a lot of stuff to put on. I am sure the end result is worth it.

cortneyhare
      May 4, 2018 at 12:29 pm

It is, but you don’t necessarily have to wear a full face, you can just use the tips for the products you are using!

Kiwi
    May 4, 2018 at 12:27 am

White eyeliner under the waterline is one of my favorite beauty tricks. Concealer is a must for everyone!

Shoni MunchTrip
    May 4, 2018 at 6:57 am

These are helpful tips. They can help maximize the makeup we buy too. Thanks for sharing!

Also,I’m clicking that SEPHORA giveaway link πŸ˜‰

Carrie Liu
    May 4, 2018 at 1:10 pm

These are some really useful tips! Never tried using setting spray with a brush before, seems like a really good trick. You look gorgeous by the way.

karamel_kc
    May 4, 2018 at 5:58 pm

I love to see how make up transforms others but I’m so bad with it. Thanks for the tips

Berlin
    May 5, 2018 at 9:55 am

Good to have read this. I always swipe the foundation onto my face. Now I need to press it to have that long lasting effect.

Dona
    May 5, 2018 at 11:23 am

Thank you. I’m literally getting greasy to make my face, so I’ll be using some of these tips. I especially appreciate the blush tip!

Felicia
    May 6, 2018 at 2:43 am

I stopped wearing make-up for a while, but I think you just convinced me to start doing it again.

LavandaMichelle
    May 7, 2018 at 12:38 am

Lovely tips! Your makeup looks wonderful. I did not know there was a need to use a primer for eye shadow when I use it, I need to get one! Thanks for sharing. πŸ™‚